A long one in the summer of 2006. The well-dressed man entered my office to inform me of new investment opportunities. It was an investment in a new kind of online business and he explained when he was leaving the prospectus with me, he made a very memorable point. My objection to his investment proposal was that the internet is an investment medium because there is no real underlying asset to tie up investment capital. It’s not just a zero, (computer code) like other investments that can be sold in the worst case, an internet investment didn’t have the inherent resources to offer their investors as a parallel.
Well, it’s obvious, but my memorable answer here is he gave my objectionable objection. He made sure it was true, but why did Google pay ভিডিও 2 billion to two young men working from their garage for a video sharing website “YouTube”?
Does Google have the ability to create its own video sharing website? Couldn’t they have made one in less than a day?
Why would Google invest so much money to acquire this business? (YouTube.com) I replied, I didn’t really know.
He replied, because YouTube has an underlying resource. That property actively uses the site to name 20 million members. He went on to explain that it is an underlying asset and even a list of members is a marketable asset with a strength of even 10,000.
In the end I didn’t invest in this website, but that conversation was always stuck with me.
1) To make money on the web, the ultimate goal of any serious business person is to list your website’s loyal users. The list is the ultimate underlying asset of any online business, as clearly illustrated in the YouTube / Google acquisition.
This first point is number one on my list of 5 most sophisticated ideas for making money on the web. Making a list!
2) Do you have a digital camera? Did you know that there are websites that allow you to upload your favorite images, where webmasters can actually download your images to any image. The more pictures you have in your portfolio the more money you can make and trust me they don’t have to be high end photography, many webmasters prefer funky, less polished images.
3) Can you make brilliant videos? Have you ever submitted to YouTube? Why choose a product without going to Clickbank and make a funny video about the subject of the product and put your approved link at the end of your video. If it hits a lot, you can expect a decent return on your own!
4) Can you write a book? Go to Cafe Express, they will print a copy or million copies for the same price. Get a serial number for the book and list it on Amazon, then go to work on marketing it through blogs and social networks. New York Times # 1 Best Seller List … Here We Go!
5) Shovel sale! During every 500 gold rush in the world from California to Australia in the last 500 years, many people with gold fever usually go home empty-handed, only a few percent looking for gold. But those who set up stores selling blue jeans and shawls, they cleaned up! This same financial strategy can be applied to the Internet. Look for the next craze and don’t join the throngs, but see what things they will need and sell those items to them!